Friday 12 March 2021

CHRISTMAS JAMMING

 

I sit in my car on a December day

In the evening rush hour on a Friday

Rain pounds on the roof of my car

As I sit in a jam not getting very far

Just sitting motionless in the traffic

Late home again, that just terrific

Bright red taillights fill my view

The light’s of other cars in the queue

I see Looking to my left and right

The twinkling of a Christmas light

The queue edges forward very slowly

Then I reach the junction eventually

Twenty minutes just to get this far

I see the blue light of a police car

I don’t believe it I could explode

The police have only shut my road

I still don’t know what’s to blame

As now I go back the way I came

All the way home I rant and rage

Growling like a wild beast in a cage

Rush hour and my spleen is vent

Shutting the road is so inconvenient

The reason for delay I still can’t see

But I do make it home eventually

I shout at the kids taking off my hat

I moan at my wife and kick the cat

I look at my dinner with total disdain

Dried up the gravy now just a stain

On Monday I relate my tale of woe

And my problems with traffic flow

A colleague of mine who lived locally

Knew the details and informed me

And then with shame I was filled

A woman was run down and killed

A week before Christmas she had died

A happy Christmas for her was denied

A poor young woman had lost her life

Somebody’s lover somebody’s wife

She was both a daughter and mother

Mourned by two sister’s and a brother

Bells ring out on Christmas morning

Bells ring out for a family mourning

Christmas bells ring out in glory

To celebrate the Christmas story

I spent Christmas with my family

With my heart so full of sympathy

I felt so ashamed at my selfishness

Angry impatient and thoughtless

I confess I behaved so irrationally

Just because I was late home for tea

When next I’m in a jam I’ll remember

Any time from January to December

I shall keep things in true perspective

And my thanks to God I shall give


No matter how slowly I have to drive

If I’m sitting in a jam, I’m still alive

No comments:

Post a Comment