Saturday 11 September 2021

CHRISTMAS IS THE HARDEST TIME

 

Christmas is the hardest time

When in the bosom of kith and kin

Amidst the exited chatter

And rustle of discarded paper

Punctuated by the joyous laughter of children

And over exited grown ups

I made all the right noises

As I wore my painful smile

I opened my presents when prompted

“Oh isn’t that lovely” I cooed

“That’s just what I wanted” I lied

But what I actually wanted

Was to be somewhere else

Where there was no need of false delight

Or insincere thankful exclamations

Anywhere else but there

They are well meaning souls

Who thought to help me,

By including my in their joyous celebrations

But they don’t understand my grief

Or the empty ache of a shattered heart

Each innocent Christmas ritual cut me like a knife

The familiar songs, once loved, now hurt

And each merry Christmas was a fresh cut

Losing you, my partner in life

Was like having a conjoined twin cut away

And among that happy crowd

My loneliness was most keenly felt

When all the excitement died away

I sat in silent contemplation

When sweet memories of happier days

Flooded into my mind to torture me

I hide it from the crowd

Keeping the pain and sorrow within

But so intertwined were our lives

I am left incomplete

I am in torment every day for the want of you

But Christmas is the hardest time

No comments:

Post a Comment