Friday 10 September 2021

IT WAS CHRISTMAS EVE

It was Christmas Eve

We were preparing for Christmas day

Stuffing the bird and peeling veg

Singing of Santa on his sleigh

When the phone call came

I thought great Dads on his way

Or maybe it will be Gran

With another Christmas cliché

 

A happy Christmas call

Full of happiness and cheer

In truth it was the very opposite

It was the call we all fear

The death of a loved one

The voice says so very clear

“I’ve lost my best friend”

And I had no words only tears

 

Out of the blue so unexpected

Certainly not on Christmas Eve

Christmas should be a celebration

Certainly not a time to grieve

But Christmas Eve or not

It seems it was his time to leave

So farewell dear brother

Life without you I cannot conceive

 

For my Brother Peter who died on Christmas Eve 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment